Sunday 7 July 2013

Andy Murray's Victory At Wimbledon

I AM not a huge fan of tennis. However, whenever sportsmen are on the verge of making history or rather achieve sporting immortality, I want to be there to witness.

On 7/7 I watched British tennis player Andy Murray become the first Briton in 77 years to win the Wimbledon Men's Singles final.

The Scotsman beat World No.1 Novak Djokovic of Serbia 6-4, 7-5, 6-4 on Centre Court in a battle lasting three hours and ten minutes in blazing sunshine in London.

I must admit that game alone felt like it lasted about 77 years. The match was simply classic and breath-taking. It was a performance of supreme control, power, touch and most of all resilience.

But who would have predicted Murray could beat Djokovic in straight sets? Murray has shown the world that as far as you don't give up on your dreams,with determination,you shall get there.

Murray has proved that success is not a matter of being the best and winning the race. Success is a matter of handling the worst and still finishing the race.

I'll never be Andy Murray's biggest fan but I'll tip my hat to him for that. I mean, Zambia was still under British rule and Queen Elizabeth was only 10 when the last Briton in the name of Fred Perry won Wimbledon back in 1936.

Andy Murray should surely collect knighthood from his remarkable achievement. Sir Andrew Barron Murray, has a nice ring to it. Don't you think?

To Andy, I say congratulations lad. Your resilience and perseverance has paid off.

No comments:

Post a Comment