Tuesday 12 November 2013

DISTRACTED DRIVING

AS technology advances and people have all these fancy gadgets that are convenient and make multitasking supposedly easier, this has in turn increased cases of distracted driving on our roads.

Over the years I've witnessed  distracted driving to scare the daylights out of me.

In this so called information age, it's not unusual to see folks busy chatting on the phone, texting, watching tv, looking at their iPads or laptops, taking notes, eating, breast feeding, reading a newspaper or paperback book while driving.

I once saw a lady with her knee against the steering, smoking a cigarette while applying mascara, using her rearview mirror as her make-up mirror. Worst still, I've even witnessed a woman giving head to a driver on a highway.

People need to learn that some things are meant to be done in private!

A few years back, we were on the Great East Road one morning  and there was a car swerving all over the road. I told my uncle to get around it as soon as he could because the driver was going to kill someone. We got beside him and I looked over: it was a doctor in his white coat, looking at a medical record! I guess even the intelligent are stupid sometimes.

And just this past week my neighbor gave me a ride into town. He had all his family with him and not a single one of them were paying attention to the surroundings.

He was texting, the wife was on facebook, kids were either playing video games or with their phones. I had that "Final Destination" feeling creep all over me.

It is said that the most important part of a car is the nut behind the wheel because half the time, it's not the nut in wheel but the nut behind the wheel that cause accidents.

Distracted driving is a rising demon in our society that need to be uprooted.  The act of driving while engaged in other activities is unsafe, irresponsible and in a split second, its consequences can be devastating.

No comments:

Post a Comment