Thursday 6 April 2017

Backstreet Boys Vs One Direction

THIS past weekend I attended a school function at an all-girls school where I overheard a couple of teenage girls talk about One Direction and how they are the greatest boy band of all time.

It reminded me of my teenage years and took me to a time when Backstreet Boys sat atop a musical dynasty as far as teen pop was concerned.

Now I have heard of One Direction here and there but I have never paid attention to them so I decided to check them out earlier today and find out why they are so popular among teenagers.

What I did was to first go back in time to remind myself of how 90s teen pop used to be. So I went on YouTube and watched Backstreet Boys’ “I Want It That Way”.

Do you know the first thing that became quite evident to me? I noticed girls where holding signs and pictures taken from magazines instead of their phones.  Men rocked mullets and wore checkered shirts, leather jackets and baggy pants.

After watching the Backstreet Boys video I picked a random 1 Direction video…“Best Song Ever”.

The first thing I noticed in the video?.. a transgender woman. Then I saw gay men acting like clowns… straight men in skinny jeans dancing with a transgender woman. And yeah, fans were holding phones.

I am not going to waste my time discussing who I think is better between Backstreet Boys and 1 Direction. But I will tell you this. Thank God my teenage years came and went within the 90s’ decade. 

No comments:

Post a Comment